News, views and insights.
Adler, Cohen, Harvey, Wakeman and Guekguezian LLP is always striving to advance the practice of law within our diverse areas of specialty. This section of our website is devoted to sharing news and accomplishments with clients, colleagues and other interested parties.
In September 2020, Daniel Wu joined the firm as an Associate practicing out of the Boston office. Daniel is a 2011 graduate of the University of Florida Levin College of Law. Daniel recently moved to Massachusetts after practicing medical malpractice defense for five years for a highly respected civil litigation firm in Manhattan, NY.
In April 2020, Ellen Epstein Cohen was featured in an article published by Boston University School of Law, regarding a successful outcome she on behalf of her clients in the Pelletier v. Boston Children's Hospital matter, which was tried to a successful jury verdict in February 2020. The article can be found here.
Adler Cohen proudly recognizes 12 of its attorneys, including all 8 of the firm's Partners, who were selected, based on votes of their peers and review by an independent blue ribbon panel, as "Super Lawyers" or "Rising Stars" in 2019, as published annually in Boston Magazine and New England Super Lawyers. Partners Ellen Cohen, Bernie Guekguezian, Jennifer Herlihy, Michael Barkley, and Megan Pimentel were each recognized as "Super Lawyers." Ellen Cohen and Bernie Guekguezian were also recognized as two of the "Top 100 Attorneys" in Massachusetts. Bernie Guekguezian was also recognized as one of the "Top 100 Attorneys in New England," and Ellen Cohen was recognized as one of the "Top 50 Women" in Massachusetts and New England. Partners Brian Fielding, Amy LaBrecque and Associates Brent Gilbert, Cassandra Feeney, and Alex Terry were each recognized as "Rising Stars."
The firm is pleased to announce that Bernie Guekguezian was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in September, 2019. Founded in 1950, the College is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada. Fellowship in the College is extended by invitation only and after careful investigation, to those experienced trial lawyers of diverse backgrounds, who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality. Lawyers must have a minimum of fifteen years trial experience before they can be considered for Fellowship. Membership in the College cannot exceed one percent of the total lawyer population of any state or province. There are currently approximately 5800 members in the United States and Canada, including active Fellows, Emeritus Fellows, Judicial Fellows (those who ascended to the bench after their induction) and Honorary Fellows. The College maintains and seeks to improve the standards of trial practice, professionalism, ethics, and the administration of justice through education and public statements on important legal issues relating to its mission. The College strongly supports the independence of the judiciary, trial by jury, respect for the rule of law, access to justice, and fair and just representation of all parties to legal proceedings. The College is thus able to speak with a balanced voice on important issues affecting the legal profession and the administration of justice. Bernie is the second partner of Adler Cohen to be inducted to the ACTL. Ellen Epstein Cohen was inducated as a Fellow in September 2016.
In August 2019, it was announced that Principals Ellen Cohen, George Wakeman, Bernie Guekguezian, and Michael Barkley were selected for inclusion in the 2020 edition of "The Best Lawyers in America," as published by Best Lawyers and based on a rigorous peer review selection process.
Adler Cohen congratulates the Sig Adler Lung Cancer Research Fund, recently recognized by The Mass General Cancer Center as one of "The One Hundred" for 2016. "The One Hundred" is an awareness and fundraising initiative that celebrates hope in the cancer community by recognizing 100 amazing individuals or groups around the globe whose commitment to the fight against cancer inspires us all to take action. The Sig Adler Lung Cancer Research Fund was established in 2007 to honor one of our firm's founding partners, Sig Adler, and to further the groundbreaking cancer research being performed everyday at MGH.
Adler Cohen in the Community
Adler Cohen is proud to sponsor Lawyers Honoring COVID Caregivers, a fund established by Massachusetts lawyers who are convinced that it is essential that our profession supports the brave and dedicated people who are on the front lines of the fight against COVID-19. For more information, or to donate, please follow this link.
On June 25, 2019, the attorneys and staff of Adler, Cohen, Harvey, Wakeman & Guekguezian proudly participated in the 12th Annual Lawyers Have Heart 5K road race. The race is an annual event organized to raise proceeds for the American Heart Association, a charitable organization with a mission of building healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. The firm’s strong turnout and fundraising efforts enabled us to support the American Heart Association in its mission.
- On September 14, 2020, at the invitation of Boston University School of Medicine, Michael Barkley presented at the Radiology Interventions Safety, Quality, and Complications Symposium. This Symposium, attended by interventional radiologists throughout the United States and internationally, was held over a three day period and was conducted virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Michael’s presentation was entitled: “So…you’re Being Sued: What now?” and consisted of legal and risk management advice and data arising from interventional imaging based procedures.
- On October 1, 2019, Michael Barkley, at the invitation of CRICO, presented to approximately 100 clinical fellows within the Partners Healthcare System. The presentation centered around legal and risk management issues unique to trainees.
- On September 13th and 14th, Bernie Guekguezian was an invited speaker to Coverys’ Risk Management Education Days. Attorney Guekguezian presented the topic: "Malpractice: New Views, Insights, and Legal Tips to Mitigate Your Exposure."
- On March 29, 2019, Bernie Guekguezian was an invited speaker for the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine’s Quality and Patient Safety Training Spring Progam: “Collaborating to Promote Safe Practices.” Attorney Guekguezian presented the topic: “Maximizing Patient Safety While Minimizing Provider Risk."
- On March 20, 2019, Bernie Guekguezian was an invited instructor for the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education Course: “Product Liability Claims: Navigating the Law and Strategies for Effective Case Presentation and Trial Presentation” in Boston.
- On March 17, 2019, Bernie Guekguezian was an invited speaker for the Annual Update in Obstetrics and Gynecology Course sponsored by Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Mr. Guekguezian presented the topic: Malpractice: New Views, Insights and Legal Tips to Mitigate Your Exposure.
- On March 14, 2019, at the invitation of the RI Bar Association, Cassandra Feeney co-hosted a CLE entitled “Re- Charge: Keep Your Battery at 100%,” focusing on various stress management techniques for lawyers to integrate to be more present, focused, and balanced, while enhancing effectiveness, efficiency, and resilience in responding to the challenges and demands of a busy and fast-paced career.
- On November 13, 2018, at the invitation of CRICO, Michael Barkley again presented to physicians completing a Fellowship in Patient Safety and Quality through Harvard Medical School on the topic of the "Disclosure, Apology, & Offer" Law.
- On September 28, 2018, at the invitation of Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine, Michael Barkley presented at an Obstetric Medical-Legal Conference. The presentation was given with two other medical malpractice defense attorneys and focused on risk management and issues unique to medical malpractice litigation in the field of Obstetrics.
- On July 13, 2018, Michael Barkley presented by invitation at OMSNIC and Fortress' biennial Defense Counsel Seminar held in Chicago. The seminar was attended by OMSNIC and Fortress' national panel of defense counsel, as well as OMSNIC/Fortress' Board of Directors and claims staff - a group of approximately 150 attorneys, oral surgeons, and claims professionals. The presentation was given jointly with an oral surgeon, and was entitled: "Anesthesia and the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon."
- In June 2018, Brent Gilbert presented to a group of physicians, medical students, and other healthcare providers at Harvard Medical School's Cross Cultural Interest Group symposium held at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. The presentation was entitled: “Obtaining Informed Consent When Cultural Differences Exist.”
- On January 18, 2018, Michael Barkley presented to the Massachusetts / Rhode Island Medical Group Management Association on "Risk Management Lessons from Medical Malpractice Litigation."
- On January 11, 2018, Cassandra Feeney presented a workshop regarding Special Education Law: A Guide to Parent Rights and Responsibilities by invitation at Bradley Hospital and in connection with in the Roger Williams School of Law Pro Bono Collaborative Special Education Project.
- In September 2017, Ellen Cohen and Megan Pimentel presented a webinar for a national group of healthcare providers and risk managers, entitled “Claims of Sexual Misconduct: What No One Wants to Talk About but Everyone Needs to Know."
- On May 22, 2017, Cassandra Feeney co-presented a workshop on Special Education Law by invitation of the “Lawyers in the Library” series hosted by the Providence Public Library and in connection with the Roger Williams School of Law Pro Bono Collaborative. More information is available here.
- On April 28, 2017, Bernie Guekguezian was a featured speaker at the Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association/Massachusetts Association of Trial Attorneys “Both Sides of the Bar” Seminar.
- On April 20, 2017, Cassandra Feeney and Brian Fielding presented a CLE on Special Education Law by invitation of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Government Lawyers Committee at the Rhode Island Bar Association headquarters. This CLE provided an overview of special education law, and prepared participants to advocate on behalf of families with students receiving special education services as well as understand the responsibilities from the perspective of the school district.
- In April 2017, Bernie Guekguezian presented a Risk Management Seminar at Milford Hospital on the issue of “curbside consults” to a group of 35 physicians.
- On March 30, 2017, Cassandra Feeney moderated panel featuring the Honorable Patricia A. Sullivan, United States Magistrate Judge, United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island, as well as Eliza Vorenberg, J.D., Director, Pro Bono Collaborative, RWU Law; Suzanne Harrington-Steppen, Associate Director, Pro Bono Programs, RWU Law; and Stephen M. Prignano, Partner, McIntyre Tate, LLP, entitled, “What’s in it for Me?: Ethics of Pro Bono Practice and Why You Should Get Involved” by invitation of the Young Lawyers Committee for the Rhode Island Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
- In March 2017, Bernie Guekguezian presented a Risk Management Seminar on medical malpractice litigation to a group of 40 physicians in Concord, New Hampshire.
- On January 28, 2017, Ellen Cohen and Michael Barkley participated in a Risk Management symposium at the Yankee Dental Congress, at the invitation of OMSNIC. The presentation was geared towards oral surgeons and their office staff, and entitled: "Patient Safety and Risk Management For the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon."
- On November 17, 2016, at the invitation of CRICO, Michael Barkley again presented to physicians completing a Fellowship in Patient Safety and Quality through Harvard Medical School on the topic of the "Disclosure, Apology, & Offer" Law.
- Ellen Cohen was interviewed for a podcast to discuss the jury selection process in civil trials. You can read the transcript or listen to the podcast here.
- On June 9, 2016, Brian Fielding and Cassandra Feeney presented by invitation at Bradley Hospital. The presentation was entitled: "Special Education Rights - An Overview for Parents." The presentation was given as part of Brian and Cassandra's participation in the Roger Williams School of Law Pro Bono Collaborative Special Education Project.